Join the “In Person Group” each week! They meet Mondays from 6:00-7:30pm at Triumph West to discuss the reading from the past week, and look ahead to the upcoming reading.
Below are the notes that were handed out during their latest meeting. Hope you find them helpful!
2018 B90 = B4
Resurrection body: Do humans turn into angels at death? 1 Corinthians 15: 35-58 + 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 + Mark 12:18-27 + Matthew 22: 23-33
Except for Jesus Christ, Paul of Tarsus is the most influential and powerful human being ever to walk planet earth.
- Born between 5BC and 5AD, contemporary to Jesus Christ
- Raised in cosmopolitan city of Tarsus
- Acts 23:6 = parents Roman citizens (sign of wealth) and father a Pharisee
- Romans 16:13 = at some point his “Mother” lived in Rome
- Acts 23:16 = at some point his adult Sister + her son (his nephew) live in Jerusalem
- Romans 16:7 = his relatives Andronicus and Junia were prominent Christians before he was converted
- 2 Tim 1:3 + Phil 3:5-6 = His family very connected to Pharisaic tradition for generations
- Acts 22:3 = at age 14 sent to Jerusalem to study at Hillel School with renowned Rabbi Gamaliel
- Hillel School noted for balanced education including philosophy, ethics, classical literature, Stoicism etc.
- At the least bilingual (perhaps trilingual) spoke/wrote Koine Greek and Hebrew
- Galatians 1:16 = dated 31-36AD Paul is converted on road to Damascus
- Acts 9:1-22 = conversion vision note Ananias parallel vision
- Acts 9:20-22 = immediately baptized and immediately starts preaching Jesus Christ
- 2 Cor 11:32 + Galatians 1:17 = barely escapes death in Damascus and goes to Arabia for 3 years
- Galatians 1:13-24 = goes to Jerusalem and meets James and Peter for 15 days
- Acts 11:26 = develops independent church from Jerusalem in Antioch for 14 years meets Barnabas
Discuss Paul’s theology and high light the extraordinary nature of his mission bringing a foreign religion to locations where it was prohibited/illegal – and doing it all “cold call”. Completely amazing!
Insights into Paul’s temperament and character and personality
- 2 Corinthians 11:24-27 = one tough preacher
- Acts 19:23-34 = instigator of a riot in Ephesus
- Acts 15:36-41 = Paul and Barnabas sharp disagreement and split
- Acts 16:16-24 = Paul annoyed vs 18 ends up in jail
- Acts 16:35-40 = Paul demands apology vs 37
- 2 Timothy 4:14-16 = Alexander the copper smith
- Acts 18:3-8 = Your blood be on your own heads! vs 7 he moves next door
- Acts 19:8-10 = Paul takes his team and moves to the community center
- Acts 21:1-15 = The brothers tell him not to go, he does it anyway
- Acts 21:27-36 = People chasing him, city in uproar vs 28, vs 30, vs 31, vs 34, vs 35
- Acts 25:6-12 = Paul sticks to his position to the point of death vs 11
- Acts 23:1-3 = God will strike you white washed grave
- Acts 15:1-11 = Paul and Barnabas and Peter and James and Luke vs 2 + vs 7
- Titus 1:10-16 = Paul has a long memory
Join the group!! As a B90 reader, you can jump in any week you want. They meet Mondays from 6:00-7:30pm at Triumph West.