Join the “In Person Group” each week! They meet Mondays from 6:00-7:30pm at Triumph West to discuss the reading from the past week, and look ahead to the upcoming reading.
Below are the notes that were handed out during their latest meeting. Hope you find them helpful!
2018 B90 = B18
WELCOME TO THE NEW TESTAMENT! TAKE A VIRTUAL 3D TOUR OF 1ST CENTURY JERUSALEM AND SEE IT AS MODERN ARCHEOLOGISTS, AND ANCIENT RECORDS, TELL US IT LOOKED DURING THE TIME JESUS LIVED THERE = OVER 2000 YEARS AGO.
JESUS BIRTH ACCOUNT: BIBLE vs TRADITION Luke 2:1-15
- Details of the Christmas story as we know them today come from novel “Proto Evangelium of James” (written anonymously in circa 200AD condemned by Jerome, the Church and many early Popes)
- Luke = Gentile citizen of Antioch, physician, second generation Christian, author of the two books Luke + Acts, travel companion for Paul of Tarsus, not an eye witness to Jesus’ earthly ministry
- Roman occupation circa 3AD, religious tolerance, gov funded building and infrastructure projects (Sephoris etc), Census celebrating 70 years new title for Emperor, Taxes must currently own property in the area, EVERYBODY is traveling to ancestral home no exceptions, big reunion
- Audience = Theophilus + first century Mediterranean/Middle Eastern Christians
DIAGRAM FIRST CENTURY PALESTINE HOUSE
- Katalyma = guest chamber, guest room, upper room = Luke 2:7, 22:11 + Mark 14:14
- Pandocheion = paid rooming establishment = Luke 10:34
Shepherds keeping watch over their flocks at night = Professor Mark Erickson Bethel Seminary Ho = each Nyx = night – indicates season of the year vs a time of day
Angel = functions as warrior or messenger, no female angels in Bible, humanoid form, no wings on
Angels in Bible, wings start appearing in 4th century Christian art, no halo, no harp
(seraphim = six wings, somewhat human form cherubim = four faces, four wings, calf feet 2 Kings 6:15-17, Dan 9:20-23, Dan 10:10-14, Numbers 22:31 use a concordance for many more)
Company of heavenly host = Stratia army of heaven, members of a celestial army, No singing, no harps – Praising God Anieo = proclaiming the excellence of God and saying Lego = speaking, good news, Euangelizo = preaching Gospel = Jesus birth, life, death, resurrection, City of David = Warrior King, Savior= Soter One who delivers from grave danger, Messiah = Christos brings peace defeating enemy (Ephesians 6:12 + 3:10, 2 Corinthians 10:3, Colossians 2:15, 1 Peter 1:12) , Peace to men on whom His favor rests = Eudokia good will good purpose pleasure, Which the Lord has told us about = Kyrios Lord Master Sir
Shekinah Glory = the place God inhabits when He is physically present on planet earth – Exodus 16:10 + 24:17 + 40:34-38, Revelation 21:23 see also God as light or Jesus as light i.e. Paul on Damascus road light periastrapto flashed as in lightning, vaporizes Aaron’s sons in OT , Terrified = Megas large intense quantity + Phoebomia fear and alarm + Phobos terror
Join the group!! As a B90 reader, you can jump in any week you want. They meet Mondays from 6:00-7:30pm at Triumph West.